Windriver Valley [4.5/10]

|

http://www.acornrack.com/windriver/

This website has the honor of being the first of many site reviews that I hope to bring to this website. Now without further ado the review which I'm sure, at least one person, is waiting for.

First Impression:
Well, the front page is rather bland... the single picture in the middle with the horses is nice but it is too small and is disproportionate to the rest of the page to create any real impact on me as a whole.

(Note: This will not effect the score, however on FireFox3 the front page layout doesn't work so well, the mouse disappears from site and it's rather hard to navigate. Internet Explorer however works fine which is what the majority of this review is being based on.)

Truthfully I did not even notice the "Menu" was there until I accidentally hovered over it to reveal the rules, and apply page.

The Iframe for the rules/apply page doesn't align into the image where I assume it's supposed to be. While it isn't too big of a deal, it's something I want to point out. Also, the background image itself interferes when reading the text.


The Rules:
The Golden Rule... this indicates that there is one main rule that has high priority over all the others, yet there are quite a bit more from what I see.

"Respect your fellow players, respect the staff, and respect the site. Keep swearing limited out of character, and be mindful of others’ feelings. There should be no god-moding or power-playing in any post (unless agreed upon between players). "

1. Respect your fellow players.
2. Respect the staff.
3. Respect the site. (I don't personally know how you would disrespect one, but I digress)
4. Limited swearing when OOC.
5. Be mindful of others feelings. (Redundant, this should fall under respecting others)
6. No god moding or power playing (unless agreed upon beforehand)

The rest of the rules seemed fine, I'm not too experienced in the ways of horse RP so I assume all the rules here are the norm. I will say that I did have trouble reading throughout till the end because of the confined space and interference from the image like I stated before.

The Application:
Nice and simple, the only problem I have with it is that it says "rank" ... Now I'm fairly sure I've read through all the material on the front page and I don't remember any instances where you define what rank they should be. I even went back into the rules page and searched for rank and those findings brought up each section in the rules but none which contained information about the ranks themselves.

Into the Site:
First thing that comes into mind when I enter the members area of the site, "Whoa! Layout change!" Also, the particular layout is too wide for my screen and have to use the scroll bars and I'm not a fan of the colors. While generally it seems I'm not missing anything just the sight of those bars plants the thought that I simply might if I don't check. The recent threads section is somewhat out of the way, being under the cbox and I didn't know it was there until I had to scroll down on the forums page.

Forums:
There is a good amount of forums with nice detailed descriptions of each and that creates a problem itself. While it's nice to have all those long descriptions, my scroll bar suffers from going through looking for what I need to find. Other than that issue everything seems nice.

Other:
Members profiles seems rather nice for the ones I skimmed through, some had too many images for my taste and the background and writing text seemed to clash on others. But overall seemed good. Any of the member pages were blocked from my view so I am to assume at this point that all the information needed for the site has been properly explained.

Roleplaying:
The RP's that I looked at seemed to RP at an intermediate level, though most seemed to me a bit word happy to me. Describing every nuance and little thing distracted me from the point they were trying to get across, while others RP'd at a different POVs,(1st person to 3rd person) which also distracted me from trying to understand the whole thread. Truthfully I kept reading one persons post throughout one of the threads I looked at because it was the only way I could understand what was happening without having to read through 5 adjectives per object and it accomplished everything it needed to do without any fluff.

Rating: 4.5 out of 10 Points.*

This site didn't have anything that drew me in that I might even consider on joining on. While initially it would have an average rating of 5, the little problems here and there along with the layout and what seemed be some lack of information for ranks brings the score down to a 4.5.


Reviewed by: The Jello Emperor

0 comments:

Post a Comment